A gearbox is needed to help the engine
A gearbox is needed to help the engine apply more turning effort when necessary.
Car engines develop their maximum turning effort when the crankshaft reaches a certain number of revolutions per minute. This number is not the same for all cars. For example, a car designed for high-speed driving develops its maximum effort at a high number of engine revs, but a car designed to have pulling power develops it at a lower number of revs.
With any car, more effort is needed to get it moving than to keep it going once it has picked up speed. And more effort is needed to drive it uphill than on the flat. In bottom gear, the propeller shaft turns about three times slower than the crankshaft, in second gear about twice as slow, and in third gear just slightly slower.
This gives the engine more push, because the same power applied at a slower speed has greater force - just as it takes more effort and slower winding to raise a heavy bucket from a well than a light one.
When reverse gear is engaged, the propeller shaft turns about four times slower than the engine.
The exact difference in turning relationships between the engine and the propeller shaft depends on the design of the car, and is known as the gear ratio. In top gear, the propeller shaft turns at the same speed as the crankshaft, so thel.ear ratio is 1: 1. This is because by the time the car reaches top gear, the engine is near its maximum effort and the car has gained sufficient speed for extra effort to be unnecessary.
Inside the gearbox, the change in speeds between the two shafts is brought about by locking together different-sized gear wheels with toothed outer edges. For example, if one gear wheel is locked with another that has twice the number of teeth, the smaller wheel makes two revolutions for each revolution of the larger wheel. In a manual gearbox, the driver makes the adjustments by operating the gear lever.
In an automatic gearbox, the changes are brought about by oil pressure. The oil pressure is regulated by valves known as shift valves.
They work either by pressure from throttle when the driver pushes down the accelerator pedal, or by a device called a governor that is sensitive to road speed, and is located on the gearbox output shaft.
The governor takes control from the throttle pressure once the car reaches a predetermined road speed. When the car drops below the predetermined speed, the throttle pressure takes over again.
We don't have anything for caravans, unfortunately, but are frequently asked if we do. When we say that we don't, we are asked if we can recommend anyone. Therefore, if you are looking for something for your caravan, we recommend this site for spare parts and accessories as they cover just about everything. Windows, doors, showers for inside the caravan, plus full servicing and repairs. A fantastic one stop shop for caravans.
Engines & Gearbox Parts Ford,Japanese & Honda Engines Car Engines & Gearboxes. We currently have these engines in stock
- Citroen ZX Leader 2007 5 Door Hatchback
- Citroen ZX Advantage 2004 5 Door Hatchback
- Citroen Zantia Dimension 2005 4 Door Saloon
- Fiat Brava SX 2006 5 Door Hatchback
- Ford Escort Ghia 2006 5 Door Hatchback
- Ford Escort Si 2008 5 Door Estate
- Ford Escort 2006 4 Door Saloon
- Ford Mondeo Aspen 2007 4 Door Saloon
- Ford Escort LXi 2003 5 Door Hatchback
- Ford Mondeo LX DI 2001 5 Door Hatchback 495.00 Details
- Nissan Micra Twister 2008 3 Door Hatchback
- Nissan Micra Profile 2009 3 Door Hatchback
- Peugeot 106 Aztec 2005 5 Door Hatchback
- Peugeot 206 L 2009 3 Door Hatchback
- Renault Megane RT 2006 5 Door Saloon
- Renault Laguna Alize 2009 5 Door Estate
- Renault Clio RT 2006 5 Door Hatchback
- Rover 114 GSI 2006 5 Door Hatchback
- Rover 216 SLi 2008 5 Door Hatchback
- Rover 420 Si 2007 4 Door Saloon
- Seat Ibiza 2007 3 Door Hatchback
- Suzuki Swift 2006 5 Door Hatchback
- Vauxhall Corsa LS 2007 3 Door Hatchback
- Vauxhall Corsa Breeze 2007 5 Door Hatchback
- Vauxhall Astra LS 2008 5 Door Hatchback
- Vauxhall Corsa Envoy 2008 3 Door Hatchback
- Vauxhall Vectra sri 2008 5 Door Estate
- Vauxhall Astra Merit 2008 5 Door Hatchback
- Vauxhall Vectra LS 2009 5 Door Hatchback
- Volkswagen Polo CL 2008 3 Door Hatchback