Engines and their parts - Advice and Information
How does a car engine make the wheels go round?
Before a typical car engine can make a car move, it has to convert the up-and-down movement of pistons driven by fuel combustion to the rotary movement of a shaft that turns the wheels.
Developing engine power
In the commonly used four-cylinder engine, power is developed when a mixture of petrol and air is compressed and ignited inside the engine cylinders. As the fuel mixture ignites, the hot gases that are produced force a piston down its cylinder.
The cylinders are phased to fire one after the other to give continual running power.
The pistons are connected by rods and bearings to the main engine shaft, the crankshaft, and as the pistons go down, they force the crankshaft to rotate.
The crankshaft has a heavy flywheel fitted at one end, to keep it turning steadily and to smooth out the motion of the pistons.
The flywheel also links the engine to the transmission - the system that conveys the power to the car's wheels.
What about other components?
When swapping an engine for one with more power other components may need to be replaced. The brakes for example, if the engine has much more power, up-rated brakes will need to be fitted. Another example is the battery; will the standard battery be able to power the new engine? You can often find the battery that?s required for specific makes and models online e.g. http://www.thebatteryguys.co.uk/ . Suspension is another component which shouldn't be overlooked. If the weight of the new engine is more or even less than the one removed, the suspension system should be reviewed.
Engines & Gearbox Parts Ford,Japanese & Honda Engines Car Engines & Gearboxes. We currently have these engines in stock
- Citroen ZX Leader 2007 5 Door Hatchback
- Citroen ZX Advantage 2004 5 Door Hatchback
- Citroen Zantia Dimension 2005 4 Door Saloon
- Fiat Brava SX 2006 5 Door Hatchback
- Ford Escort Ghia 2006 5 Door Hatchback
- Ford Escort Si 2008 5 Door Estate
- Ford Escort 2006 4 Door Saloon
- Ford Mondeo Aspen 2007 4 Door Saloon
- Ford Escort LXi 2003 5 Door Hatchback
- Ford Mondeo LX DI 2001 5 Door Hatchback 495.00 Details
- Nissan Micra Twister 2008 3 Door Hatchback
- Nissan Micra Profile 2009 3 Door Hatchback
- Peugeot 106 Aztec 2005 5 Door Hatchback
- Peugeot 206 L 2009 3 Door Hatchback
- Renault Megane RT 2006 5 Door Saloon
- Renault Laguna Alize 2009 5 Door Estate
- Renault Clio RT 2006 5 Door Hatchback
- Rover 114 GSI 2006 5 Door Hatchback
- Rover 216 SLi 2008 5 Door Hatchback
- Rover 420 Si 2007 4 Door Saloon
- Seat Ibiza 2007 3 Door Hatchback
- Suzuki Swift 2006 5 Door Hatchback
- Vauxhall Corsa LS 2007 3 Door Hatchback
- Vauxhall Corsa Breeze 2007 5 Door Hatchback
- Vauxhall Astra LS 2008 5 Door Hatchback
- Vauxhall Corsa Envoy 2008 3 Door Hatchback
- Vauxhall Vectra sri 2008 5 Door Estate
- Vauxhall Astra Merit 2008 5 Door Hatchback
- Vauxhall Vectra LS 2009 5 Door Hatchback
- Volkswagen Polo CL 2008 3 Door Hatchback